February 19, 2009
T-minus 4 days!
Updates for today:
- Thought I was finished with errands, but … went to OSH today and got two more garbage cans; one white (for trash) and one blue (recyclables – and yes, I know, “blue” is neither “black” nor “white”, but it’s a sacrifice I’ll make so that plastic ends up where it should.)
- Kitchen TVs deployed. Had some trouble with the digital converter box and associated powered antenna, but swearing, threats and the fear of raw parsnips prevailed.
- Weather forecast for Sunday is … chance of showers, so, asked for help from my friend BH with tents for the arrival photo area.
- Made a wrong turn on Fair Oaks, and so missed placing the catering order. TOMORROW (Thursday) – I promise! And a menu update will follow…
To close, the preview for Best Picture nominee; “Milk”:
February 18, 2009
New review today, by a new reviewer (rocksgowhoosh): “Rachel Getting Married”. Thanks, Rocky!
Party status update: main room projector, TVs and furniture deployed. All errands completed (Smart & Final, BevMo, Pavilions, Target, Best Buy, etc.) And …. an important update: the bar is stocked and ready!!!
BIG STEPS FORWARD!!! Woo hoo!!!
Next steps: will order catering tomorrow (Wed), and will work on arrival photo area.
Plan to review only two more movies before the main event: “The Wrester” and “Revolutionary Road”. The rest are up to you!
February 16, 2009
New review today: “Wanted”
Also started moving the furniture around in anticipation of the party, and the first TV came out of deep storage!
February 15, 2009
Oscar party wines & drinks have been selected! Food to follow later this week…
- MontGras Reserva Carmenère 2007 (Colchagua Valley, Chile):
- Wine Enthusiast 90 pts (Best Buy): “Here’s one of the standout Best Buy reds of the season out of Chile. There’s welcoming grapeball and sweet berry aromas mixed with olive and tobacco. The feel is smooth and medium-deep, and the blackberry and plum flavors are just right. Barely herbal, with a long finish. Carmenère in its simple glory.”
- Jacob’s Creek Reserve Shiraz 2005 (South Eastern Australia):
- Wine Enthusiast 89 pts (Best Buy): The Reserve wines from Jacob’s Creek continue to offer excellent value, and with 90,000 cases imported, this should be easy to find. No, it’s not the most intense and concentrated Shiraz, but this medium-bodied wine offers silky tannins, plenty of blackberry and blueberry fruit touched with dried spices and a supple finish. Drink now.
- Jacob’s Creek Chardonnay – Pinor Noir Brut Cuvee (South Eastern Australia):
- Wine Spectator 86 pts:”Bright and lively, with smoky green apple and fresh-baked bread flavors, finishing crisp. Drink now. 880,000 cases made”
- Tanqueray Dry Gin
- Bombay Sapphire Dry Gin
- Stolichnaya Vodka
- Smirnoff Vodka
- Noilly Prat Dry Vermouth
- Whaler’s: The Original Dark Rum
+ sodas in black & white, water.
February 10, 2009
When: tonight (Tuesday), 7:15pm show; meet outside by 7:10pm
Where: Edwards Atlantic 10, Alhambra
Which categories: Actress, Adapted Screenplay, Photography, Director, Picture
What else: We have coupons for $6.50 tickets which we are happy to share if you catch us before we go inside! Popcorn is now $1 + $1 to upsize (a 300% increase over last year!).
February 10, 2009
Doubt (thank you, moviegirl!)
Iron Man, Batman – The Dark Knight (thank you, LadyOscar23!)
February 7, 2009
Another review added today (Tropic Thunder) by a new guest reviewer – thank you LadyOscar23!
And things are progressing for the 22nd:
- Invitations: check.
- Bartender: Kevin will be back again this year, with hand-stuffed olives for the martinis. Hic.
- Catering: waiting for final guest list, but Gerlach’s is standing by. Check.
- Reviews: more or less up-to-date. Only a few pending.
- Poster: at the printers for mounting. Check.
- New tie, vest: in the capable hands of UPS. Check.
- TVs: will get two more digital converter boxes today (just in case) and will inherit another TV for the mix – thank you, astrobabe. Check!
- Movies: have seen 3/5 best picture nominess (will see the 4th tomorrow), and 18+ nominated films overall. More work to do here!
T-minus 15 days to curtain!