February 20, 2009
New review for Best Picture nominee, “The Reader” (and video of the trailer). Thanks LadyOscar23!
Reviews pending for The Wrestler, and Milk. Stand-by!
February 20, 2009
T-minus 3 days:
- Catering ordered! And I am pleased to announce that the OscarsinBlackandWhite has it’s first ever official party sponsor: Gerlach’s Grill. Yes, Gerlach’s has been providing the food for the Oscar party for years. It is now under new ownership – the chef, who has worked there for the last 15 years, has taken over the business. Gerlach’s is highly recommended – at the corner of Fair Oaks/Glenarm, they have a wonderful selection of Lebanese food, traditional American/Mexican food offerings, and Gerlach’s liquor – in the same building – has a great selection of wine! The new owner gave us a substantial discount on the food this year, and we are pleased to thank and recognize him here! The menu:
- Appetizers: falafel, stuffed grape leaves (custom made – it’s no longer on the menu), hummus, tabbouleh
- Main course: chicken kabobs, salad
- Dessert: Fosselman’s ice cream sundaes
- Back porch cleaned, and TV are deployed
- Printable ballots printed
- “Who Should Win” poster ready
- White board with bar selections ready
As the countdown continues, here is the trailer for Best Picture nominee “Slumdog Millionaire”!
February 19, 2009
T-minus 4 days!
Updates for today:
- Thought I was finished with errands, but … went to OSH today and got two more garbage cans; one white (for trash) and one blue (recyclables – and yes, I know, “blue” is neither “black” nor “white”, but it’s a sacrifice I’ll make so that plastic ends up where it should.)
- Kitchen TVs deployed. Had some trouble with the digital converter box and associated powered antenna, but swearing, threats and the fear of raw parsnips prevailed.
- Weather forecast for Sunday is … chance of showers, so, asked for help from my friend BH with tents for the arrival photo area.
- Made a wrong turn on Fair Oaks, and so missed placing the catering order. TOMORROW (Thursday) – I promise! And a menu update will follow…
To close, the preview for Best Picture nominee; “Milk”:
February 18, 2009
New review today, by a new reviewer (rocksgowhoosh): “Rachel Getting Married”. Thanks, Rocky!
Party status update: main room projector, TVs and furniture deployed. All errands completed (Smart & Final, BevMo, Pavilions, Target, Best Buy, etc.) And …. an important update: the bar is stocked and ready!!!
BIG STEPS FORWARD!!! Woo hoo!!!
Next steps: will order catering tomorrow (Wed), and will work on arrival photo area.
Plan to review only two more movies before the main event: “The Wrester” and “Revolutionary Road”. The rest are up to you!
February 16, 2009
New review today: “Wanted”
Also started moving the furniture around in anticipation of the party, and the first TV came out of deep storage!
February 15, 2009
Oscar party wines & drinks have been selected! Food to follow later this week…
- MontGras Reserva Carmenère 2007 (Colchagua Valley, Chile):
- Wine Enthusiast 90 pts (Best Buy): “Here’s one of the standout Best Buy reds of the season out of Chile. There’s welcoming grapeball and sweet berry aromas mixed with olive and tobacco. The feel is smooth and medium-deep, and the blackberry and plum flavors are just right. Barely herbal, with a long finish. Carmenère in its simple glory.”
- Jacob’s Creek Reserve Shiraz 2005 (South Eastern Australia):
- Wine Enthusiast 89 pts (Best Buy): The Reserve wines from Jacob’s Creek continue to offer excellent value, and with 90,000 cases imported, this should be easy to find. No, it’s not the most intense and concentrated Shiraz, but this medium-bodied wine offers silky tannins, plenty of blackberry and blueberry fruit touched with dried spices and a supple finish. Drink now.
- Jacob’s Creek Chardonnay – Pinor Noir Brut Cuvee (South Eastern Australia):
- Wine Spectator 86 pts:”Bright and lively, with smoky green apple and fresh-baked bread flavors, finishing crisp. Drink now. 880,000 cases made”
- Tanqueray Dry Gin
- Bombay Sapphire Dry Gin
- Stolichnaya Vodka
- Smirnoff Vodka
- Noilly Prat Dry Vermouth
- Whaler’s: The Original Dark Rum
+ sodas in black & white, water.
February 10, 2009
When: tonight (Tuesday), 7:15pm show; meet outside by 7:10pm
Where: Edwards Atlantic 10, Alhambra
Which categories: Actress, Adapted Screenplay, Photography, Director, Picture
What else: We have coupons for $6.50 tickets which we are happy to share if you catch us before we go inside! Popcorn is now $1 + $1 to upsize (a 300% increase over last year!).